Sunday, October 26, 2008

Misadventures in Stockholm

Saturday, I went to Stockholm with a friend.
In the Uppsala train station, where there are no signs nor explanations of which train to board, there was a very normal looking woman. If you ignored the two dolls in her arms and the doll-sized coffin strapped to her back.
Walking three minutes from the train station, we found city hall, which is a gorgeous red brick building right on the water. I was in love!
We walked around the palace and gamla stan (old town) and it was very charming. A native of Stockholm had suggested a place to eat in gamla stan and we awkwardly ate lunch with two breastfeeding women in the room.
While walking through the doorway to leave, a man shoved me out of his way. I soon felt no anger towards him, as I realized his bike with all his belongings was being stolen. Olivia and I watched as he chased down and tackled the guy, throwing him to the ground and cursing him as the man slunk off into an alleyway.
Walking around and shopping, we were swamped in a crowd so thick you couldn't see the street!
Finally, we made our way back to the train station, and went to a McDonalds to find a free bathroom. I stood outside while Olivia powdered her nose because the lock had broken. An old man walked up and I explained to him that someone was inside, and he began to punch a code into a small keypad next to the door. Once again I told him someone was inside and he pulled the door open anyway. I threw my hand against the door but unfortunately Olivia had been slightly exposed. All of McDonalds was privy to her scream.

No comments: