Saturday, October 4, 2008

Stay Away From Marie-Ana

One thing I have found that Swedes are more conservative about than Americans: Marijuana.

I was given a very long very incoherent lecture by a drunk corridor mate about how getting drunk is very acceptable but Marie-Ana (J's are pronounced as y's or a's) is not. I am to stay away from Marie-Ana because it is Illegal here.
It's 'illegal' in the States, he explained to me, but in Sweden it's REALLY illegal.
Marijuana is actually viewed with the same stigma that cocaine or heroin has in the States. I don't know if anyone else remember's DARE in elementary school, but I remember hearing about evil tobacco companies and how one beer will make you pregnant.
Here, students talked to me about how marijuana is addictive and causes permanent brain damage after one use.
When I explained how we see Marijuana as fairly harmless in the States, and talked about how easy it is to get marijuana, the Swedes on my floor were Terrified!
Finally, I found ONE thing that the States is more lenient about!
Victory.

No comments: